If you’re deciding whether or not to make the commitment to join a Peer Advisory Group, it’s important that you have all of the facts. At this stage, ideally you are optimistic that you’re on your way to realizing your potential, and gearing up to drive your business in the right direction. But let there be no illusions about the process. Showing up in itself is not enough. Hoping that you’ll be able to achieve your goals simply by listening and taking notes is a misconception. Learning and growing by osmosis is a pipe dream.
Vistage membership has enormous benefits, and with those benefits come a set of obligations and responsibilities.
Here is a list of “Must Dos” in order to fully engage, demonstrate your commitment to the process, and continue to earn your seat at the table.
Larry’s Must Reads
- Show up ready to be challenged on everything
- Come prepared, having read the discussion materials
- Be willing to identify areas in need of change, and take the necessary steps to implement that change for the better
- Acknowledge that you do not have all the answers
- Prepare to engage in productive debate
- Accept comments, accolades and criticism from the group
- Share your failures along with your successes
- Have a positive attitude about the process
- Respect everyone’s differences and their individual realities
- Know yourself and be prepared to express your opinions
- Take responsibility for the energy that you bring to your group
- Become an equal participant
- Leave your ego and status symbols at the door
- Prepared to have your comfort zone shaken up
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions
A Vistage membership alone is no guarantee of success. Your contribution to the process, the hard work, dedication, commitment to change and to challenging yourself will determine what you gain from the experience. So make the most of it. Your business will thank you for it.